Ingredients For the crust:
- 2 3/4 cups/350g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup/75g powdered sugar, unsifted
- 1 stick/125g unsalted butter, cold
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
Ingredients For the caramel:
- 3 tablespoons/50g glucose or corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups/275g superfine/caster sugar
- 2/3 cup/150ml double or heavy cream
- 3/4 – 1 teaspoon (level) rock salt or coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons/25g unsalted butter, diced
For the ganache:
- 1 1/2 cups/350ml double or heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons honey (I used a little more)
- 10 oz/300g bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick/125g unsalted butter, diced
For the crust, sift together the flour, powdered sugar and salt and cut the butter into chunks. Place in a food processor and process, adding the eggs at the end, until a dough has formed. Roll out the dough into a circle and fit into an 11-inch (29cm) removable bottom tart pan. Chill for at least half an hour. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Blind-bake the crust by lining it with baking parchment, filling it with baking beans and baking for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the beans and paper and continue to cook the case for a further 10 minutes or until it is a light golden color. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
To make the caramel, pour the glucose syrup into a large saucepan and bring it to a boil. Gradually add the sugar, stir and continue to cook until the sugar has started to caramelize and turn golden brown. At the same time, in a separate saucepan, bring the cream and salt to a boil. Remove the caramel from the heat and very carefully add the cream – be careful as the mixture can rise rapidly in the pan. Stir carefully over a low heat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Remove from the heat, add the diced butter, and stir again until smooth. Pour into the cooled crust and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
To make the ganache, bring the cream and honey just to a boil and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let it sit for a minute or two then stir until everything is smooth. Add more honey if it is too bitter. Once the mixture has cooled a little add the butter and stir gently until the mixture is smooth. Pour in an even layer on top of the cooled caramel, return to the refrigerator, and chill for 4-6 hours before eating.