Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 35 minutes
Yield: 14 Cookies
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (5 g) freeze dried strawberries
- 3 Tbsp fresh strawberry puree (from about 3/4 cup fresh)
- 1 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup freeze dried strawberries to a food processor and pulse until ground into a fine powder. Sift ground strawberries through a fine mesh strainer (to remove seeds and the few small pieces remaining) into the flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter, shortening and sugar on medium speed until very pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Mix in egg, then mix in egg white and vanilla. Blend in food coloring if desired (I added 1 toothpick swish, dipped in gel). With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 during the last 10 minutes of refrigeration.
- Scoop dough out about 3 Tbsp (50 g each) at a time and roll into a ball. Place dough ball on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle top lightly with flour, then using something flat and smooth (such as the storage container lid), press and evenly flatten dough to about 1/3-inch thick (so you should have about a 2 3/4 ” circle. Alternately if desired, you could roll the dough and cut with a circle cookie cutter, but if you are rolling it thinner than 1/3-inch you may need to reduce the baking time). Transfer flattened dough to a Silpat or buttered cookie sheet and repeat process with remaining dough (you’ll have to use 2 cookie sheets). Bake in preheated oven 8 – 9 minutes. Allow to cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with Strawberry Frosting.
- For the Strawberry Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, whip butter until pale and fluffy. Meanwhile, pulse 1/3 cup freeze dried strawberries in the food processor until finely ground. Using a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds, sift freeze dried strawberries over butter and mix to combined. Stir in 3 Tbsp fresh strawberry puree, lime or lemon juice and vanilla extract (mixture will look separated and that’s okay). Slowly mix in powdered sugar and whip until well combined.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy, adapted from my Frosted Sugar Cookies
Pin me on pinterest!
Follow me on twitter!
Find me on Facebook!